Video: Creating depth with grey markers

Zoe July 29, 2010 6

Hi everyone,

After lots of questions I finally made a video showing how I add additional depth using grey markers. To really show you the full effect I started with a very flat image colouring each section with only one tone. Normally I would colour the image with my light source in mind before finally adding the grey.

Here is a before and after image (so you can decide if you want to sit there for the next 10 minutes. heehee Might need a hot cuppa!)

The Garden Picket Fence is available here
if you wanted to sit down and practice whilst you watch.

And I have grey copic marker sets availble in store

[YoutubeFancyZoom=zcxkfQ6zuYw]

If the video doesn’t play visit YouTube

I hope you manage to pick up some tips from this video. I would love to see any work you create using this technique.

Please DO leave a link to your project in the comments if you try this.

Hugs and take care always!

Zoe xxooo

6 Comments »

1. Stacie July 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm - Reply

WOW! I can’t watch the video tonite, but what an amazing difference between the before and after! I’m bookmarking it to watch in the am!

2. Tracey Feeger July 29, 2010 at 12:20 pm - Reply

Wonderful tutorial. It is great to know this type of thing.
    mwah
    Trace

3. Uptrot July 29, 2010 at 4:02 pm - Reply

Ooh that is great Zoe. Got a few things to do this morning but I shall be crafting this afternoon and I’ll watch it then. Thanks for making the tutorial, your colouring is always special. Jill x

4. Melanie July 30, 2010 at 1:43 am - Reply

Zoe…you rock! I love all the tutorials and tips you’ve been posting lately. Your site is such a gem, and I appreciate all the hard work you put into it. Thanks for sharing yet another great turorial. I love my gray markers too, and reach for them all the time! They are fantastic for adding additional depth to images. Speaking of gray markers, I need to go get some refills for them! Have a fantastic day!

5. KimberleyG July 30, 2010 at 11:12 am - Reply

I’m too pooched to watch a video this eve, and I’ll probably forget by the time I get back from my family reunion (back late Mon. night), but I can see by the difference in the images that it sure gives it more depth. Kind of like the difference it makes when you sponge the edges of your papers, something is missing without it.

6. Anonymous July 31, 2010 at 6:03 pm - Reply

Zoe – thanks for the tutorial really useful will try it out on my next card.

Beccy x