Happy Australia Day! Let's play a game!

Zoe January 26, 2011 17

Happy Australia Day to my fellow Aussies!

I have been thinking about how to celebrate this day with all my friends from around the world and after a number of ideas were tossed out the window I finally thought up a hair brain idea that could be a bit of fun!

As some of you may know, us Aussies have quite a way with words. From an outsiders view we may seem a little lazy in the way we can’t really be bothered finishing words correctly.

Instead of saying “Lipstick’ we say ‘Lippy’, instead of saying “Barbecue”, we’ll throw it on the “Barbie”! Not only do we like to shorten words, our pioneers (from shearers, drovers and swagman many years ago)  have coined some ridiculously funny and most often very colourful phrases and words, many of which are still in use today!

So I thought it could be a little bit of fun to share some of our ‘slang’ with you today and play a game!

I have picked out a few words and phrases to share with you, which has been quite difficult as there are so many great ones (plus I tried hard to leave out the very colourful terms… heehee). Glance over them, and then read on for the details of how to play the game!

1. You little Ripper
  2. Well I’ll be buggered!
  3. Crikey
  4. Fair dinkum
  5. On a good wicket
  6. Make a proper galah of yourself
  7. She’ll be apples
  8. Ridgie Didge
  9. Buggerlugs
  10. Give it a burl
  11. Bob’s yer uncle
  12. Go like the clappers
  13. Ningnong
  14. Good Onya!
  15. Rough end of the stick

So what’s the game?

Well, I am hoping you had a chuckle and thought, “What on earth do these mean?”

That’s what I want you to tell me!

1. Pick one or two or all of them if you are having fun, and make up your own dictionary meaning for them.
    You can of course use google to find out what they do mean, and that may help you get a little more creative but I do think it would be even funnier if you made up your own meanings without knowing the ‘Aussie meaning’ first. heehee
  2. Create a post on your blog (you can add it within a post you will already be writing if you like) and share your Aussie Slang interpretation.
  3. Make sure you link back to this post so that others can come play too (plus, it will help to explain what you are up to!)
  4. Then come back here and add a link to your post in the linky below so we can all come on over for a laugh or two!

You don’t have to be funny or creative to join in! Just share with us your interpretation of the phrase or word!

There will be Winners of course!!

A random winner will be drawn who will receive a $50 voucher to spend on any of the Make it Crafty brand products.

And I will also be selecting a few that have me in stitches to win some random prizes of my choice!

You can enter up to THREE times. BUT each entry must be on a new post and use different words or phrases from the selection above.

Entries will close February 26th and I will announce the winners along with the ‘actual’ Aussie meanings shortly after.

And of course Aussies can enter too!

I hope you will join me for a few laughs to celebrate Australia Day with the good old Aussie Spirit of cheer and fun!

And I wouldn’t be a True Blue Aussie if I didn’t finish off with:

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!!

If you don’t have a blog, you can still enter!

1. Add your entry to the Make it Crafty Facebook Wall then link your email address here and add “FB” after your name.

2. Email your submission via the contact us page then add your link here with your email address and add “EM” after your name.

17 Comments »

1. LindyD January 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm - Reply

What a fun idea!! It will be great to read all the entries!! Lindy from California

2. JLJ Designs January 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm - Reply

That was really fun! I didn’t look any of them up, just tried to have fun and play off the words. Happy Australia Day!

Jennifer

3. Trexxann January 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm - Reply

G’day Zoe! Strewth, what a bonzer idea cobber!! Bloody oath, I am sure we will get a rip snorter of a laugh from all the blokes and sheilas that enter this for a lark! That’s my two bob’s worth at any rate. So car’n, don’t worry about gettin’ chewie on ya boot, or making a proper galah of yerself, take a punt,’ave a go mates – even if you’re flat out like a lizard drinking!! 🙂 Happy Australia Day !! 🙂

4. LINDA W. January 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm - Reply

Happy Australia Day
    from a little ranch in Texas

5. Barbara Brewer January 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm - Reply

Happy Australia Day Zoe, Partner, Cocky, Blue tongues and what ever other creatures that live at your place. What a fabulous idea you had, but how about Trexxann’s comment, she’s got to be an Aussie so I’m definitely not going to try to better that cos I can’t. Good on ya Trexxann and Happy Australia Day to All.
    Barbara B.

6. LindyD January 26, 2011 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Barbara B, just guess, that’s the fun of it!!! <3

7. Anonymous January 26, 2011 at 6:48 pm - Reply

‘Happy Australia Day’ my friend :0)

8. Cecilia Reyes Montes January 26, 2011 at 7:20 pm - Reply

Happy Australian Day… My birth languague is spanish…so don’t understant completely al the slang of you… however I’ll try some apples…

9. RubyM:) January 27, 2011 at 1:18 am - Reply

Hey she has my last name lol!!!! ((smiling))

ZOE THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!! I was so blown off by Trexxann comment.I THOUGHT HOLLIE COW THAT’S SO FREAKIN COOL LOL!!Is that like a whole different language in a different language lol!

Let me tell you something and DON’T YOU THINK I’M MAKING FUN OF YOU LOL!! Every time i color and think to myslef where to add my folds to my images.

I do the Zoe language accent 🙂

YOU SAY RIGHT HEA AND RIGHT HEA SO I DO THAT NOW LOL!!! I LOVE IT LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Aussie day Mate ((muah))RubyM:)

10. Agbar January 27, 2011 at 2:41 am - Reply

Happy Australia Day! Probably, it will be difficult to define Aussie’s slang, but to Feb 26th is so much time that I hope I’ll find time to play. Idea is wonderful!

11. charli twain January 31, 2011 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Happy Aussie Day! I posted it on a mb since I don’t have a blog…but it’s crafters (Creating Keepsakes magazine blog) so they will probably pop over to enter/check it out! btw–can’t wait to see what some of these mean!

12. Yuenie T January 31, 2011 at 11:15 pm - Reply

this sounds like so much fun! will definitely participate when I have the time! =)

13. aussie loz February 1, 2011 at 7:59 am - Reply

HAHA Zoe! I have to keep coming back to see the entries into your little game! I love them!! So funny… I love what they think buggerlugs is!! can’t wait to read more entries! ?

14. win_or_lose52 February 2, 2011 at 3:17 am - Reply

I had fun with this game. I hope no one gets offended with one of my interpretations.

15. xdebrax February 2, 2011 at 8:55 am - Reply

This was a lot of fun Zoe, thanks for letting me play

16. Kitty February 25, 2011 at 7:33 am - Reply

Hi What a giggle we had ! such a great idea for a competition. Must confess we knew a few of them from watching Aussie soaps !! We were good and did not look them up so looking forward to seeing the the real meanings . What a super site you have here. Kitty x

17. Ellephantastic February 26, 2011 at 10:05 am - Reply

I’ve just found your fun game whilst blog hopping. I’m too late to enter but had a good chuckle at them all!!
    Hope you all had fun x