Well as you may know I am definitely one to love creating a scene and so the challenge of Masking Stamps at TOMIC this week is right up my alley! I decided to go hybrid and so I have masked my traditional rubber stamps with digital stamps. 🙂
Also just to make things extra challenging I decided to take my new obsession of ‘no black lines’ to the extreme and colour a WHOLE scene. Crazy is definitely the way to describe it. 😀
But here is the result. Not bad for my first attempt and colouring a scene. I didn’t do any practice or throw anything away in the bin – I just hoped that I would be able to hide any mistakes. I guess the one good thing about having no lines is that you can hide your mistakes easier, you just pretend it wasn’t there! hahaa
So here is the result
It looks a bit bright in the photo but I often have trouble trying to get the colours adjusted just right. Try and imagine it slightly more muted. Haha
To create this scene I started by arranging my digital stamps for the background. I used Petals & Palings, Snap Dragon Garden and Pebblestone Patch from Make it Crafty. I changed the transparency of the digital image so there would be no black lines and tried to match the darkness of the lines to the ink I was stamping with. I set mine to 10% but your printer may be different so you will need to experiment with what works best for you. I suggest going as light as you can before you have trouble seeing the lines.
After deciding on my background digital scene, I stamped Tilda with Watering Can using Adirondack Cloudy Blue ink. Then I masked her by stamping her onto some scrap and cutting her out and adding low tack glue to the back.
I lined up the digital stamp with Tilda to ensure it would print in the correct spot.
Finally I then masked the fence and Tilda and then stamped the magnolia Blooming Spring Tree in the background.
The image took hours to colour. I decided to start with the background and move towards the front. I had trouble with the greenery and just kept my fingers crossed that it would work out in the end when I added the prisma pencils. It is better but I certainly need a lot more practice.
If you look carefully I attempted to make the white areas on Tilda’s top ‘see-through’. It’s something I am still experimenting with having been challenged by Michelle in my FB group.
I have been having some trouble figuring out how to colour the hair on this Tilda and I am quite a bit happier with this attempt. I have another idea up my sleeve that I may try when I get a chance. 🙂
I highly recommend popping over to see the other fabulous creations made by the Magnolia team and I do hope you will be able to join us this week!
I hope you like my masked creation and I hope you like the idea of stamping with no black lines. I really feel like it is more like painting an image than colouring a ‘colouring book’ so to speak. I had to look at the image in a whole new light and try and work out how I would break up all the elements only using my shading skills. It was definitely worth the challenge!
Thanks so much for popping by.
Big Aussie Squeezes